I was Just Thinkin’ about an Internet Sales Tax
OK, Here I go on one of my stupid Rants.
I am a Techno-Geek, an Old One, I admit, but still, as Popeye says, “I Am What I Am“.
So, from my perspective, I have watched this Internet world of ours blossom into what it is today.
Hold on, for a minute. Yes, it is confusing, filled with great and awful things, sources and people. But, in my opinion, the good far exceeds the bad, so I keep on using it.
Why do I by on the Internet? For the convenience and specifically for the PRICE! That’s right, I want the best Price on the best Product. Part of that price is the presence of a Sales Tax.
With that said, I just want to express my frustration about this Internet Sales Tax issue that is now in our Florida legislature.
Here are my questions and thoughts:
- If they start forcing an automatic Internet Sales Tax on Floridians, how much will they actually gain for the state coffers.
- Yes – They will get more money, of course, from companies in other states that are forced to collect.
- Yes – Individual Floridians will now have to pay the same extra tax cost whether they shop with Florida companies or not.
- Yes, This means that the individual Floridian online shopper will lose a decent discount of 6% on whatever they purchase, regardless of the location of the company.
- And, Yes, we all know, and wink at the fact that most individuals do not make or claim these sales taxes.
In conclusion, what I see coming in our complex global economic system is the fact that, by leveling the sales tax field, Florida companies will, in all probability, no longer have this slight pricing advantage for many individual shoppers.
Look at it logically. If I can get the same product, from multiple companies, and they are priced the same, do I really care where it comes from?
Especially considering that the only other variable to consider is Shipping, and so many companies now offer this for free.
Anyway, I was Just Thinkin’
You must be logged in to post a comment.