I’m just doing a little “free-association” writing here.
Here are some of the things you think about when you are living in the Florida Keys when you realize it’s the last day of May and Summer is really here;
This the first day of the Hurricane Season, so for some reason, whenever the news people say there is a storm coming, those horrific news photos of Hurricanes striking land pop into your mind.
Continue reading “Thing you think about in the KEYS on the last day of MAY”
For want of a title, I thought this was an appropriate one. I am OLD! and I am presently living in my motorhome in a campground in the Florida Keys and I have opinions about this place and the people who visit here.
As I walk and drive around the Keys, I continue to wonder what draws people down here, in this heat and high humidity.
Add the high cost of visiting here, and unless you are a fisherman, the lack of things to do, and what you end up with, is a long string if small islands that exist on tourist dollars and still manage to look worn out and dilapidated.
Well, I have put together several chapters of my musings on just what I see that makes this place so interesting.
If you are in any way interested, I have placed my chapters onto my HubPages site, and you can start with chapter-1 by clicking on the link below.
The Old Man in the Keys
by Don Bobbitt, May, 2017
Our adventures as campers this Summer are available online on my other site Rvandcamper.org..
My wife and I have been doing this for many, many years and we would like to share our experiences and knowledge with our fellow campers.
These are our personal experiences, of course, but we have also included a lot of TIPS for CAMPERS, as well as some useful information about the areas we visit and things we find to do. We provide these Tips to help you when you go camping.
As we travel, and camp, I am recording our travel days and what happens each day in posts on my blog RV and Camping. You can just click on this link and go directly to all of the articles about our camping adventure, or you can just scroll down this page and click on a link to a specific days story.
To make it easy to go to each of these specific blog posts, feel free to click on the appropriate days link and a page will open with the post on that specific day of our travels, what we do, and what we see.
I hope you like this approach and enjoy our travel dialogue.
Camping Adventures, Days 0 thru 49 and the end of the trip.
High Points of our trip:
- It must be Rainy season here, or so it seems with the constant showers.
- I took my camera downtown and got a number of pictures of some of the remaining old architecture on Main Street Lynchburg that I used on a Hubpage article. Worth checking out, I think.
- I get some writing done during the rains and we both read some books when the weather was at its worst.
- I spent some time concentrating on cleaning up my Satellite TV connections in our RV.
- More Days of Rain and the occasional storm, interspersed with July Fourth Fireworks,
- cookouts at our campsite.
- Visits from family, and a trip to the City Market for fresh vegetables.
- Making Jalapeno Poppers,
- A gathering of family and friends,
- A visit to the Appomattox Surrender Grounds.
- Much running around town, trying to get in those little things on our bucket list for our Lynchburg stay.
- Alternating between; Just Chillin’ at our campsite, visiting friends, and doing a little research on the area we will be traveling to next.
- Campgrounds a growing flock of Geese.
- A great dinner with my brother and his wife; homegrown tomatoes and mayonnaise on white bread. Yum!
- Preparing to leave Lynchburg the next day.
- Travel to our next camping site near Williamsburg. Making our camper safe for the trip.Unhooking from our Lynchburg Campsite, dumping tanks and driving to our next campground.
- Site selection at the Williamsburg campground, coping with a poor site selection, setting up in one that was very narrow and poor satellite service.
- Camping is often about making concessions, and making the best of what we had.
- A day of exercise in the Pool and just being lazy.
- Some experimenting with our satellite TV reception.
- A fantastic Dinner before relaxing in our campsite.
- Days of sporadic rains, and still searching for thing to do in the area.
- Visitors to our Camper, entertaining them and seeing the sights.
- Fresh Produce stands, and the lack of entertainment information.
- Restaurants, Tiki Bars, Flea Markets, first visit to Old Towne Williamsburg VA.
- Lazy days of just wandering around the Williamsburg area.
- More heat and more things to do, in Williamsburg, VA, after some serious searching.
- We finally figured how to take advantage of the heat itself and the very next day the weather changes.
- And, we ended up spending one afternoon making a nice visit to a local Winery.
- The last days in Williamsburg VA and our hops back to Florida.
- Then, once at home, our shutdown of the Camper before putting it into storage.
- Then, of course, the beginning of our planning for our next adventure.